A studio variant, with some alterations, after the slightly smaller signed and dated painting of 1697 by Carlo Maratta in the Louvre, Paris.1
Several studio versions and copies exist, including those at Burghley House, Lincolnshire, in the Galleria Corsini, Rome and in the Schloss Museum, Weimar. The present version differs in the position of the head of the Christ Child who is shown awake and looking to his left, as opposed to asleep with his head on his chest. There are differences also in the configuration of the angels at the right of the composition.
1. H. Voss, Die Malerei des Barock in Rom, Berlin 1924, p. 599, reproduced p. 351.