44
44
Effigie royale ndop, Kuba, République Démocratique du Congo
NDOP ROYAL EFFIGY, KUBA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
Estimate
70,000100,000
JUMP TO LOT
44
Effigie royale ndop, Kuba, République Démocratique du Congo
NDOP ROYAL EFFIGY, KUBA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
Estimate
70,000100,000
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Arts d'Afrique et d'Océanie

|
Paris

Effigie royale ndop, Kuba, République Démocratique du Congo
NDOP ROYAL EFFIGY, KUBA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

Provenance

Offert par Jean-Baptiste Eugène Corbin (1867-1952), Nancy, à Monsieur A. Hamant
Transmis par descendance
Collection privée, France

Catalogue Note

En décembre 1937 ouvrait à Anvers, sous le titre Tentoonstelling van Kongo-Kunst, la plus ambitieuse rétrospective jamais dédiée aux arts du Congo. Organisée par Frans Olbrechts, cette exposition  témoignait de son approche révolutionnaire, fondée sur une analyse formelle et stylistique, et visant notamment à établir une histoire des arts du Congo. La démonstration d’Olbrechts s’opérait en particulier dans la majestueuse réunion de dix-sept effigies commémoratives (ndop) de rois Kuba. S’appuyant sur les informations recueillies in situ par l’explorateur Emil Torday et l’administrateur colonial Lode Achten, Olbrechts distingua au sein de cet ensemble un corpus ancien de neuf figures ndop de « style archaïque ». Cette statue inédite, que posséda l’éminent mécène et collectionneur de l’Ecole de Nancy, Jean-Baptiste Eugène Corbin (1867-1952), en partage à la fois la superbe qualité sculpturale et les caractéristiques distinctives. 

Les figures ndop sont les portraits idéalisés des souverains - chefs suprêmes appelés nyim – ayant dirigé le royaume Kuba depuis le XVIIe siècle. William H. Sheppard fut, en 1892, le premier Européen à voir l’une de ces sculptures, majestueusement présentée dans la grande salle du palais de la capitale Kuba (Sheppard, Presbyterian Pionners in Congo, 1917, p. 112). Plusieurs des statues composant le « style archaïque » défini par Olbrechts furent acquises peu après : quatre par Emil Torday en 1907, lors d’une expédition financée par le British Museum (Torday, Causeries Congolaises, 1925, p. 148-150) et, une en 1909 par le ministre belge Jules Renkin, aujourd’hui conservée au Brooklyn Museum (inv. n° 61.33). 

Tandis que son iconographie traduit rigoureusement les canons conventionnels du type (tant dans la pose que dans l’ensemble des attributs royaux), cette statue s’impose d’emblée par sa remarquable qualité sculpturale. Si elle semble se singulariser par sa relative petite dimension, deux des statues définies comme archaïques par Olbrechts présentent une taille inférieure. Sa « monumentalité sculpturale créée par le fait que la tête de la figure est disproportionnée par rapport au torse et aux membres inférieurs [témoigne] du corpus des pièces les plus rares et les plus célébrées » (Binkley et Darish, Kuba, 2009, p. 31). A la très grande sensibilité des modelés s’ajoute le soin apporté par le sculpteur à la précision des détails anatomiques, notamment des doigts et des oreilles, tels qu’Olbrechts les décrivit avec la plus grande attention (Plastiek van Kongo, 1946, p. 57). S’ajoute enfin la très belle patine brune à reflets rougeâtres, acquise « au fur et à mesure des applications répétées de poudre de bois rouge mélangée à de l’huile de palme » (Binkley et Darish, idem), témoignant également de l’ancienneté de cette effigie au sein du corpus des statues ndop.

Selon Vansina (African Art and Leadership, 1972, p. 44), elles remplissaient différentes fonctions, aussi bien du vivant du monarque (favoriser la fécondité des épouses, aider au bon déroulement des naissances), qu’après sa mort, où elles devenaient des statues commémoratives que l'on exposait lors des grandes occasions. Pour Joseph Cornet (in Binkley et Darish, idem, p. 58), elles étaient avant tout des statues commémoratives, réalisées après la mort du roi. "Le caractère posthume des ndop est d'une grande conséquence pour les supputations chronologiques; [certaines] ont pu être commandées par un seul et même roi pour combler les lacunes laissées par un prédécesseur" (idem). Ainsi, certaines effigies sont stylistiquement très proches bien que le symbole – sculpté à l’avant du socle et identifiant le roi - diffère. Cette œuvre, dans son étroite parenté artistique avec l’effigie collectée par Torday en 1904 et conservée au Musée royal de l’Afrique centrale (inv. n° EO.27655), en constitue une superbe demonstration.

December 1937 saw the opening of the Tentoonstelling van Kongo-Kunst, in Antwerp; the most ambitious retrospective ever dedicated to the arts of the Congo. Organized by Frans Olbrechts, this exhibition was a testament to his revolutionary approach, based on a formal and stylistic analysis, it focused on establishing a history of the arts of the Congo. Olbrechts’ demonstration was particularly compelling in the majestic gathering of seventeen commemorative effigies (ndop) of Kuba Kings. Based on information collected in the field by explorer Emil Torday and colonial administrator Lode Achten, Olbrechts singled out within this group an ancient corpus of nine ndop figures in the “archaic style”. This newly revealed statue which was the property of Jean-Baptiste Eugène Corbin (1867-1952), an eminent patron of the arts and collector of the School of Nancy, shares both their superb sculptural quality and their distinctive characteristics. 

Ndop figures are the idealized portraits of the sovereigns, supreme leaders known as nyim, who ruled the Kuba Kingdom during the 17th century. In 1892, William H. Sheppard was the first European to see one of these sculptures while it was being regally displayed in the great room of the palace in the Kuba capital (Sheppard, Presbyterian Pioneers in Congo, 1917, p. 112). Several of the statues that comprise the “archaic style” defined by Olbrechts were acquired shortly thereafter: four by Emil Torday in 1907, during an expedition financed by the British Museum (Torday, Causeries Congolaises, 1925, p. 148-150) and, one by Belgian minister Jules Renkin in 1909, which is now held at the Brooklyn Museum (inv. No. 61.33). 

Whilst its iconography rigorously conveys the conventional canons of the type (both in the stance and in all the royal attributes), this figure stands out for its remarkable sculptural quality. Although it seems to be unusual due to its relatively small scale, two of the statues defined as archaic by Olbrechts are in fact smaller in size. Its “sculptural monumentality, resulting from the fact that the figure’s head is disproportionate compared to the chest and lower limbs [shows that it belongs] to the corpus of the most celebrated and rare exemplars” (Binkley and Darish, Kuba, 2009, p. 31). The great sensitivity of the outlines, on the chest and face in particular, is enriched by the attention given by the sculptor to the precision of anatomical details, especially the fingers and ears, specifically described by Olbrechts (Plastiek van Kongo, 1946, p. 57). The beautiful brown patina with reddish hues, acquired "through repeated applications of red wood powder mixed with palm oil" (Binkley and Darish, ibid.), also attests to the antiquity of this effigy within the corpus of ndop statues.

Since the early 20th century, scholars have put forth different hypotheses both as to the role of these statues and as to their dating. According to Vansina (African Art and Leadership, 1972, p. 44), they fulfilled various functions both while the monarch was alive, to favour the fertility of wives and ensure the smooth running of childbirth, and after his death, when they became commemorative statues displayed on special occasions. For Joseph Cornet (in Binkley and Darish, ibid, p. 58), they were first and foremost commemorative statues, sculpted after the death of the King. “The posthumous character of the ndop is of great consequence when it comes to chronological calculations; [some of them] may have been commissioned by one King to fill the gaps left by a predecessor " (ibid). And indeed, certain effigies appear very close in style, although the symbol carved on the front of the base to identify the King, differs. This piece, with its close artistic ties to the effigy collected by Torday in 1904 and held in the Musée royal de l’Afrique centrale (inv. No. EO.27655) is a superb example of its type.

Arts d'Afrique et d'Océanie

|
Paris