The Sluggard is one of the defining sculptures of the 19th-century, and one of the few sculptural works created by Lord Leighton, the father of the New Sculpture movement. Balancing idealism with realism, this perfect depiction of the male nude was published initially by Arthur L. Collie and cast by the Singer Foundry until the early 20th century, when the rights passed solely to the Singer Foundry (by 1914). The original clay sketch was first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1886, and a lifesize bronze version is in the Tate collections (inv. no. N01752).