A George III pen-engraved inlaid satinwood and harewood library table in the manner of Christopher Fuhrlohg circa 1780
- satinwood, harewood
- height 30 1/2 in.; width 5 ft. 6 in.; depth 42 in.
- 77.5 cm; 167.6 cm; 106.7 cm
In 1769 Haupt left England to take up an appointment as furniture-maker to the Swedish king, but he was joined by his half-brother Johann Christian Linning, with whom he entered a partnership with premises at 24 Tottenham Court Road. In the years that followed Fuhrlohg regularly participated in the annual exhibitions of the Free Society of Artists of Great Britain, where in 1774 a 'Venus attired by the Graces in inlay', together with a 'Flora in inlay' were exhibited. In 1775 he exhibited a panel of 'The Muse Erato' in different coloured woods inlaid' and the following year a 'Diana in stained wood, a circle'.
From 1776, Fuhrlohg worked alone, Linning having returned to Sweden that year; and in 1778 he placed an advertisement in the Morning Post, announcing that `...during the summer months he has completed several curious and elegant pieces of furniture, inlayed after the designs of the most eminent artists, and will think himself honoured by the visits of amateurs of this kind of work; and he flatters himself that his customers will have every reason to be satisfid with their purchases, as he is able to answer for the goodness of the work which he continues to sell at the most reasonable terms'.
In later years Fuhrlohg attracted commissions from such distinguished patrons as the Duke of Portland, Lord Howard and the Prince of Wales. In a trade card issued from the Tottenham Court Road workshop he described himself as `Ebeniste to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales' and there are records of payments to him in the Royal Accounts for work at Carlton House covering the period 1783-87.
In 1785 Fuhrlohg transferred his business to 22 Gerard Street, where he remained until 1787, when a sale was held of his existing stock, which is described as including Pembroke tables. After the sale Fuhrlohg returned to work, trading from new premises at 12 Great Russell Street, where he is last recorded in 1787.