- Hermann Hahn
- The marriage of Valentin von Bodecker and Agathe von der Linde, the city of Gdańsk beyond
- signed and inscribed lower left on a cartellino: Vina Venusq,[ue] Ceres Propellunt Corpore Morbos, / His Hos impellunt Vina Venusq[ue] Ceres. / Ista Voluptatis Genitrices: Ista Voluptas / Progenuit, Matres sunt genitrice fate. / [...?] gula modicæ sunt pharmaca grata Veneno / [T...?] Venena dabunt prodiga Sumpta gulæ / Herman Han [...?] & Pinxit
- oil on panel
- 44.5 by 156.8 cm.; 17 1/2 by 61 3/4 in.
E. Kizik, Prusy Królewskie 1454–1772: spoleczenstwo kultura gospodarka, Gdansk 2012, p. 315, reproduced p. 532;
J. Tylicki, 'Obraz "Alegoria cnoty malzenskiej". Klucz do drugiego oblicza sztuki Hermana Hana', in Biuletyn Historii Sztuki, 59, 1997, pp. 38–59, no. 1-2.
Hermann Hahn was born in Nysa (Neuss) on the left bank of the Rhine near Dusseldorf. He studied in Flanders, and possibly, too, in Vienna. Around 1600 he moved to Gdańsk where he remained for much of his life, though he served for a period as court painter to Sigismund III of Poland. This work was probably painted shortly after his arrival in Gdańsk and in fact includes a detailed view of the artist's adopted city in the background.