A set of six George II mahogany hall chairs circa 1750
4,000 - 6,000 GBP
bidding is closed
the solid shaped backs and dished seats on trestle supports
Crewe House, London, Inventory, Vol. 2, 1913, p.74, in the Entrance Hall; A Set of 6 mahogany Hall Chairs of Italian design with shaped tall backs on scroll front supports and flat stretcher rails.
These wonderful mahogany hall chairs take their inspiration from Italian Renaissance ‘sgabello’ archetypes such as the early examples attributed to Franz Cleyn (1582-1648) at Petworth House and Holland House (Gervase Jackson-Stops ed.,’The Treasure Houses of Britain’, Exhibition Catalogue, Yale University Press, 1985, pp. 134-135). The design of the present suite, with their urn shaped outline, is wholly neo-Palladian in taste and heavily influenced by the Roman fashion espoused by Inigo Jones (d.1652) and later championed by the prodigious polyhistor William Kent and his great patron Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl Burlington. The West Horsley suite are almost identical to a set of eight mahogany hall chairs supplied by Alexander Peter for Dumfries House in 1758 and a further set of eighteen hall chairs supplied by George Nix for Ham House circa 1729, which are distinguished by the family crests emblazoned on the curved backs, lacking from the present lot (Christopher Rowell ed., ‘Ham House’, Exhibition Catalogue, Yale University Press, 2013, p. 281, fig. 278).