John Francis Rigaud, R.A.
8,000 - 12,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- John Francis Rigaud, R.A.
- Hope nursing the Love of Glory
- oil on canvas, possibly reduced
- 64.3 by 50.6 cm.; 25 3/8 by 19 7/8 in.
A preliminary study for the larger canvas measuring 192 by 144 cm., painted by the young artist in Rome. In his memoirs the painter recounts with great detail his choice of subject matter, stating, 'if there should be any beauty in mine, I have endeavoured that it should consist in the composition and execution of the figures of which it is composed and not in anything else that would have been foreign to the subject'.1 The final version was sold by the painter directly to J. F. Mahey, engineer and surveyor to the Duke of Parma.2
1. Sold Monaco, Sotheby's, 3 December 1989, lot 351, for FF700,000.
2. See S.F.D. Rigaud, 'Facts and Recollections of the XVIIIth Century in a memoir of John Francis Rigaud', in W. L. Pressly (ed.), Walpole Society, vol. 50, 1984, pp. 47–48.