Lot 283
  • 283

Aaron Jennens and T. H. Bettridge

Estimate
4,000 - 6,000 GBP
Sold
6,250 GBP
bidding is closed

Description

  • Aaron Jennens and T. H. Bettridge
  • The Four Courts, Dublin
  • titled l.l.: The Four Courts, Dublin and signed l.r.: Jennens & Bettridge.; stamped with signatures on the reverse
  • oil on panel

Provenance

Christie's, London, 8 May 2008, lot 23;
Private collection

Catalogue Note

The firm of Messrs. Aaron Jennens & T.H. Bettridge were reputed for perfecting techniques in the craft and manufacture of highly skilled papier mâché wares. Jennens & Bettridge took over the workshops of Henry Clay, Japanner to George III and The Prince of Wales, in 1816. Originally based in Birmingham they set up a London shop at 3 West Halkin Street, Belgravia in 1837 and opened offices in Paris and New York two years later. Jennens & Bettridge served as 'Japanners in Ordinary' to George IV and exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition.

The company employed a variety of professional artists to copy paintings on their decorative wares, employing trained painters from the Birmingham School of Design. They were known for a wide variety of decorative objects and furniture, but painted panels such as the present example were not uncommon.

Close