Gibbs, Canning & Co., active 1847-1958
800 - 1,200 GBP
bidding is closed
- Jardinière Stands
- stamped GIBBS, CANNING & CO. TAMWORTH
terracotta, in the form of tree stumps
Established in Glascote, Tamworth in 1847, Gibbs, Canning & Co. were quick to take advantage of all the benefits the Industrial Revolution provided; a solid urban workforce and the ease of bringing in raw materials and then the distribution of their finished products via a burgeoning rail network. They are perhaps best known as suppliers of architectural terracotta. Most famously they supplied much of the decorative detail designed by Sir Alfred Waterhouse for the exterior of the Natural History Museum in London as well as work for the Whitechapel Gallery and Royal Albert Hall, London.