A copper and enamel charger, Imperial Stroganoff School, Moscow, circa 1910
80,000 - 120,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- Copper, enamel
circular, polychrome painted with figures in a central circular reserve within four shaped oval reserves on the wide convex border, the views possibly depicting scenes from Pushkin's The Tale of Tsar Saltan, the border ground engraved with the thirty-three bogatyri emerging from the sea, struck on the base and rim with the mark in use from 1907 to 1917
The Stroganoff School was founded in Moscow by Count Sergei Grigoryevich Stroganoff in 1825 and became officially the Imperial Stroganoff Central Institute for Industrial Art in 1901 when it was placed under the patronage of the Empress’ sister, Grand Duchess Elizabeth. The school’s enamel workshop opened in 1902. Students followed an eight-year course of study and were encouraged to create their own designs in addition to copying well-known works of art; the present lot appears to be an original composition. For the Romanov Tercentenary in 1913, Stroganoff students made several objects for members of the Imperial Family, including the monumental dish depicting scenes from Michael Romanov’s election as Tsar, which was presented to Emperor Nicholas II. For additional information, please visit SOTHEBYS.COM.