- A RARE GOLD AND ENAMEL CENTER SECONDS DUPLEX OPEN-FACED WATCH MADE FOR THE CHINESE MARKET
CIRCA 1830 NO 437
- diameter 57 mm
Established in Fleurier in 1822, the three Bovet brothers, Edouard, Frederic and Alphonse, were previously located in London to benefit from the well established watch making trade and frequent ships to the Orient. According to the companies history the brothers all moved to London in 1814 after Edouard had completed his watchmaking apprentiship. In 1818 the brothers boarded the Orwell ship to Canton, upon their arrival, selling four completed watches for a total 10,000 francs, a huge sum of money at the time.
Specailising in highly decorative pocket watches made for the Orient Bovet, is regarding as one of the finest makers of the era.
A similar, unsigned, Chinese market pocket watch circa 1820/1830 is featured on page 150 of the Patek Philippe Museum booklet 'The Mirror Seduction' 'Prestigious pairs of 'Chinese' Watches' with an almost identical painted reverse featuring the hongs and fort at Canton, the scene accredited to the famous enamel painted Jean-Louis Richter (1766-1841)