PF1318

/

Lot 10
  • 10

Herminette de chef, Maori, Nouvelle-Zélande

Estimate
150,000 - 200,000 EUR
bidding is closed

Description

  • Maori
  • Herminette de chef
  • wood and jade stone
  • long. 38 cm, haut. 31 cm
  • 15 in, 12 1/5 in

Provenance

Collection Dr. Ralph Linton, New Haven, Connecticut
John J. Klejman, New York
Collection Nelson A. Rockefeller, acquis le 22 mars 1956
The Museum of Primitive Art, New York, avril 1967, don de Nelson A. Rockefeller (en prêt permanent depuis août 1956), inv. n°56-15
Parke Bernet Galleries, New York, 4 mai 1967, n°57
Collection privée, Belgique
Collection privée

Exhibited

New York, The Museum of Primitive Art, Selected Works from the Collection: Four, 19 février 1958 - janvier 1959, n° 33
New York, The Museum of Primitive Art, Figure Sculpture from Polynesia in the Collection of the Museum of Primitive Art, 19 juillet - 31 décembre 1961
El Paso, El Paso Museum of Art, One World, 12 mars - 15 mai 1966

Literature

The Museum of Primitive Art, New York, Figure Sculpture from Polynesia in the Collection of the Museum of Primitive Art, 1961, n°6
Guiart, Océanie, 1963, p. 361, n°374

Catalogue Note

L'herminette cérémonielle topi poutanga ("l'herminette qui établit un homme dans son autorité") constitue le plus important emblème d'autorité des chefs Maori, réservé à l'usage exclusif de l'akari, chef suprême de chaque grande tribu Maori. Leur corpus, extrêmement restreint (parfois réduit au seul manche sculpté), se répartit essentiellement au sein de collections institutionnelles, en Grande-Bretagne (British Museum, Pitt Rivers Museum - University of Oxford - et Royal Scottish Museum d'Edinburgh), aux États-Unis (American Museum of Natural History de New York, University of Pennsylvania) et en Nouvelle-Zélande (Otago Museum à Dunedin et Canterbury Museums à Christchurch). Seules trois pièces connues demeurent en mains privées, dont celle-ci, anciennement dans les collections du Museum of Primitive Art, New York.

« La lame en néphrite était précieusement transmise par héritage et constituait un objet de mana (prestige). Elle agissait comme le mauri (force vitale) de la tribu, qui était transmis sur plusieurs générations. Lorsque son propriétaire mourait, le manche était séparé et enterré avec lui. Lors de la proclamation du nouveau chef suprême, la lame sacrée était cérémoniellement fixée à un nouveau manche, et l'autorité du nouvel araki considérée comme établie. » (Moko Mead, 1984, p. 184 et 222). 

Au sein de cet éminent corpus, notre herminette cheffale se distingue par la virtuosité du sculpteur à traduire la puissance traditionnellement conférée à l'emblème, et par la très grande beauté de la lame en néphrite. Prenant simultanément appui sur les deux axes du manche coudé, le personnage se déploie dans la tension des courbes et des contre-courbes, décuplant la force exprimée par le torse bombé mis en valeur par les doigts noueux démesurément longs qui l'enserrent, et par la tête projetée vers l'avant. La prodigieuse dynamique des lignes est accentuée par la richesse des tatouages couvrant le corps, et par les tons brun-rouge de la patine profonde.

S'imposant comme l'une des plus remarquables du corpus, elle s'apparente en particulier (posture, technique de fixation de la lame, large visage sculpté au revers recevant la lame) à l'herminette reproduite par Cook en 1777 dans le récit officiel de son second voyage (Cook, 1777, pl. XIX, n° 1 et 2). Faisant vraisemblablement partie de l'ensemble d'œuvres acquises par Georg Forster le 4 juin 1773 à Queen Charlotte Sound, elle est aujourd'hui conservée au Pitt Rivers Museum (University of Oxford, cf. Kaeppler, 2009, p. 184). Une troisième herminette cérémonielle, de facture plus récente, s'y rattache stylistiquement : aujourd'hui dans les collections du British Museum (inv. Royal Collection n° 69980), elle fut offerte en 1901 au Prince de Walles par le chef Pokiha Taranui à Ohinemutu (British Museum, 2010, p 69). Elle permet d'attribuer notre herminette au style développé dans la région de Rotorua par les Ngati Whakaue (tribu Arawa). 

Maori Chief's adze, New Zealand

The ceremonial topi poutanga adze ("the adze which establishes a man in his authority") is the most important symbol of authority for Maori chiefs, reserved exclusively for the use of the akari, the supreme leaders of the larger Maori tribes. The extremely small corpus (with often solely the sculpted shaft extant), is mostly distributed amongst institutional collections in Britain (the British Museum, the Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, and the Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh), the United States (the American Museum of Natural History, New York, the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia) and New Zealand (Otago Museum in Dunedin and Canterbury Museum in Christchurch). Only three known pieces remain in private hands, including this one, formerly in the collection of the Museum of Primitive Art, New York.

"The nephrite blade is a treasured heirloom, and an object of
mana (prestige). It is a mauri (life force) of the tribe, which has been passed down over many generations. When a holder died, the handle was taken off and buried with him. When the new paramount chief was proclaimed, another handle was made and the blade was ceremoniously lashed on. Thus a new ariki was seen to be installed." (Moko Mead, 1984, p. 184 and 222).

Within this eminent corpus, our chief's adze stands out for the virtuosity of the sculptor in translating the power traditionally vested in this emblem, and for the great beauty of the nephritis blade. Simultaneously resting on both axes of the angled shaft, the figure unfolds in the tension of the curves and counter-curves, greatly increasing the force expressed in the bulging torso, emphasized in turn by the disproportionately three long gnarled fingers that encircle it and by the forward thrusting head. The prodigious dynamics of the outline are accentuated by the wealth of tattoos covering the body, and the red-brown tones of the deep patina.

One of the finest elements within the corpus, it is especially similar (posture, blade attachment technique, broad sculpted face on the back, where the blade fits in) to an adze reproduced by Cook in 1777 in the official account of his second voyage (Cook, 1777, pl. XIX, No. 1 and 2). A probable part of the body of work acquired by Georg Forster on 4 June 1773, in Queen Charlotte Sound, it is now kept in the Pitt Rivers Museum. (Oxford University, cf. Kaeppler, 2009, p. 184). A third ceremonial adze, of a more recent make, displays stylistic similarities: now in the British Museum (inv. Royal Collection No. 69980), it was presented to the Prince of Wales by chief Pokiha Taranui, in Ohinemutu, in 1901 (British Museum, 2010, p 69). Thus it is possible to attribute the adze at hand to the style developed in the Rotorua region by the Ngati Whakaue (Arawa tribe).

Close