- A FINE AND RARE PINK GOLD PERPETUAL CALENDAR CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH WITH REGISTERS, MOON-PHASES AND LEAP YEAR INDICATION
2000 REF 3970ER MVT 3046189 CASE 4103710
- diameter 36 mm
With a Patek Philippe Certificate of Origin and a presentation box with outer card box.
Ref. 3970 was created following the success of the exceptional and iconic Ref. 2499. One main difference between the two models is the addition of the leap year indicator to the 3 o'clock subsidiary dial and 24-hour indicator to the 9 o'clock subsidiary dial. The model was available in yellow, white, pink gold and platinum. Production evolved into 4 series with the following characteristics:
- 1st series: snap-on solid case back, gold applied baton hour markers, feuille hands
- 2nd series: screw-down solid case back, gold applied baton hour markers, feuille hands
- 3rd series: screw-down solid case back and sapphire crystal display back, gold applied lapidated hour markers, baton hands
- 4th series: same characteristics as 3rd series but with modified serial numbers and folding buckles
The present example belongs to the fourth and final series. Production of the model ceased in 2004 and was replaced by the popular reference 5970. Reference 3970 is illustrated in Huber, M. & Banbery, A., Patek Philippe Watches, Vol. 2, Second Edition, p. 305.