Edith Caroline Warren Miller (1866-1944), was from a prominent New York family, and the wife of the wealthy industrialist William Starr Miller. Together they commissioned Carrere & Hastings to build their substantial home at 1048 Fifth Avenue (fig. 1), completed in 1913. This mansion, a prestigious address worthy of the glamorous and established couple, today houses the Neue Galerie of German and Austrian art. The Millers had an only child, Edith Starr Miller (1887-1933), who married Almeric Paget, Lord Queenborough, in 1921.