A French gilt-bronze-mounted tulipwood and kingwood and parquetry bibliothèque signed Millet à Paris second half 19th century
10,000 - 15,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- kingwood, tulipwood, bronze
- 173cm, 118.5cm wide, 43cm deep; 5ft. 8in., 3ft. 10¾in., 1ft. 5in.
with a raised concave sided top above a stepped frieze and egg and dart border above a pair of shaped glazed doors centered by a mask of Hercules with a rosette at each angle and with a stylised flowerhead on the shaped apron, on gilt-bronze block feet
Maison Millet, founded in 1853 by T. Millet, was first located at 11, rue Jacques-Coeur, Paris, then moved to 23, Boulevard Beaumarchais in 1902. Specialising in meubles et bronzes d'art, genre ancien et moderne, mainly copies of French 18th century models, Maison Millet was awarded many medals such as the 1889 Exposition Universelle Gold Medal, a Grand prix in 1900 and three Diplômes d'Honneur. In 1902, Millet was authorised by the curator of the Palais de Versailles to replicate Queen Marie-Antoinette's celebrated 'Grand cabinet à bijoux'. An auction of their stock was held in 1906 and the firm finally ceased trading in 1918.