A pair of French gilt-bronze wall lights by Henry Dasson dated 1887
- each 104cm high; 3ft. 5in.
Henry Dasson (1825-1896) established his workshop at 106, Rue Vielle du Temple, and was an important furniture maker using the very finest gilt-bronze mounts with high quality mecurial gilding. He worked in association with Godot. In 1871, he bought the workshop and stock for 14,000 francs from the widow of the ébéniste Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen, and soon became recognized as a brilliant ébéniste and bronzier. He specialised in copies of Louis XV, XVI and pieces of his own modified 18th century design. Specializing primarily in the production of works from the Garde Meuble National, he participated in the 1878 Paris Exposition Universelle. He was made a Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur in 1883 and was awarded the Grand Prix Artistique at the 1889 Paris Exposition Universelle. When the business finally closed in 1894, an auction was organized clearing the remainder of his stock.