The brothers John Philip and David Elers were Dutch silversmiths working at Vauxhall in London, and from around 1691, at Bradwell Wood in Staffordshire, where their pottery was last recorded in 1697. A number of contemporary and later accounts describe the fine red stonewares produced by the Elers during their short tenure in the potteries. These are cited in full by Gordon Elliott in his monograph of the Elers' life and work, John and David Elers and their Contemporaries. Elliott discusses the distinctive group of slip-cast and lathe-turned wares, which are, despite the absence of any firm documentary or archeological evidence, attributed to the brothers. This group was first identifed by W. B. Honey, "Elers Ware", English Ceramic Circle Transactions, No. 2, 1934, pp. 7-16, on stylistic grounds, and the pieces attributed by him for the most part remain unchallenged.
A teapot sprigged with a nearly identical prunus branch is illustrated by Elliot, op. cit., no. 2A (left) and another example, with enamelled decoration and the same distinctive sprigged branch, was in the Harriet Carlton Goldweitz Collection, sold in these rooms, January 20, 2006, lot 59.