A similar model by Krieger, sold in these rooms, October 26, 2010 lot 282, for 20,000 USD.
The original commode, on loan from the Petit Trianon, is shown in a line engraving in the retrospective part of the Exposition de l' Union centrale des arts décoratifs, Paris, 1882, De Champeau & Others, 'Les arts du bois,' pub. Quantin, 1883, p. 80. The commode entered the Petit Trianon in 1867 on the occasion of an earlier exhibition dedicated to the memory of Marie-Antoinette, organized under the patronage of the Empress Eugènie. The original now at Versailles (inv. V 702) was first recorded in 1796 in the Luxembourg Palace and, although as yet not related to any commisssion prior to 1796, one might infer an important noble provenance.
Both marchands-merciers and manufacturers of furniture with large mechanized workshops, Antoine Krieger and his brother Nicolas launched Maison Krieger in 1826 at 17, Rue Saint-Nicolas, Paris. In 1850 the firm was established as Antoine Krieger et Cie. By 1880 the firm was one of the largest mechanized workshops of furniture in Paris, located at 74, Rue Du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine. Numerous furniture styles were displayed and created by Maison Krieger, producing and exhibiting copies of eighteenth century and Empire designs, while also creating modern interpretations of the Louis XV and Louis XVI styles. They were exhibitors at the major exhibitions of the nineteenth century up to the 1900 Exposition Universelle.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale