This finely carved burr birch tankard can be closely compared to a group attributed to the Norwegian carver Halvor Fanden and his son Samuel Halvorsen Fanden dating to the mid-17th century, who ran a workshop producing the best of Norwegian baroque sculpture. Compare the present piece with the tankard dating to 1663 and monogrammed SHS illustrated by Gjaerder (op.cit. fig.708), in particular the laurel framed cartouches framed by scrollwork. The kingdom of Norway was at this time jointly ruled with Denmark and the first archival mention of this workshop is in the 1674 inventory of the Royal Kunstkammer in Copenhagen with a fuller descriptive cataloguing in the 1710 Museum Regium where Halvor Fanden is listed as working near the town of Bragernaes in the environs of Christiania (present day Oslo). According to Kavli (op.cit.) only three tankards and two covered cups are undisputably by his hand. It is known that he had a substantial workshop employing various members of his extended family.
G.Kavli, 'Fanden og Ølkannene', in: Aarbok for Kunstindustrimuseet 1950-58, Oslo, pp. 31-49; P. Gjaerder, Norske drikkekar av tre, Oslo, 1982, pp. 399, fig. 706
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale