John Belchier (d.1753) is first listed in 1717 as a cabinet-maker at 'The Sun' on the South side of St. Paul's Churchyard and he described himself as 'a cabinett and looking glafs-maker' who '...grinds and makes all sorts of fine peer and chimney glafses and glafs sconces...at reasonable rates.' His most major commission was for John Mellor at Erddig, Wales, a commission which included a State bed, pier tables and numerous pier glasses, along with an impressive japanned bureau-cabinet. Significantly it is his bureau-cabinets that are most frequently labelled, and due to his ability to work with glass all have mirrored doors to the cabinet sections. His work at Erddig is discussed by Martin Drury, ' Early Eighteenth-Century Furniture at Erddig', Apollo, July 1978, pp. 46-48, in which many of the pier-mirrors are illustrated. A pair of closely related mirrors was sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 21 November 1985, lot 111. Another pair, attributed to John Belchier, is illustrated in Ronald Phillips Ltd , catalogue April 2005, pp. 90-93. A further similar mirror was sold, The Property of a Gentleman, Christie's London, 22 November 2007, lot 652, £42,500.