76

Details & Cataloguing

Important Furniture, Silver and Ceramics

|
London

A pair of terrestrial and celestial library globes, John & William Cary, London
circa 1820
the terrestrial with two sets of eighteen engraved and hand-coloured half-gores, inscribed in a cartouche CARY'S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE EXHIBITING The Tracks and Discoveries made by CAPTAIN COOK; Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA; and M DE LAPEROUSE on the COAST of TARTARY, TOGETHER with every other improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March 1st 1800, and outside the cartouche WITH CORRECTIONS and ADDITIONS to 1820,  with ecliptic, an analemma in the Pacific, finely detailed cartography with known countries and their boundaries clearly marked, New Holland also now named Australia and with entire coastline shown, voyage tracks of numerous explorers shown; the celestial with two sets of eighteen engraved and hand-coloured half gores laid to the ecliptic poles the axis through the celestial poles, inscribed in a cartouche CARY'S New and Improved CELESTIAL GLOBE ON WHICH is carefully laid down the whole of the STARS AND NEBULAE Contained in the Astonomical Works of the REVD. F. WOOLASTON F.R.S., De LA Caille, Herschel, Hevelius, Mayer, Flamsteed, Bradley &c., London. Made & Sold by J & W Cary Strand March 1816, the constellations depicted as mythical beasts, characters and instruments; each with an engraved brass hour ring at the North Pole and with an engraved brass meridian, engraved and hand coloured horizon papers with calendrical and zodiacal scales, each mounted on a mahogany stand with baluster-turned pillarand triple splay legs with spade feet, brass casters and joined by turned stretchers with a compass box and printed paper compass rose signed J & W CARY, STRAND LONDON
112cm. 44in. high
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Acquired by the present owner from Trevor Philip & Sons Ltd., London.

Catalogue Note

The firm of Cary was established by John Cary (c.1754-1835), a noted mapseller and his brother William (c.1760-1825), an instrument maker. The firm's first globes were made in 1791 and by the end of the 18th century had established themselves as one of London's foremost globe manufacturers. John Cary's two sons continued to produce globes of the highest standard until the middle of the 19th century; see E. Dekker and P. van der Krogt, Globes from the Western World, 1993, pls. 33, 37 and 38.

Important Furniture, Silver and Ceramics

|
London