224
224
A matched pair of Louis XVI ormolu-mounted patinated bronze and rouge griotte marble urns, in the manner of François Rémond
circa 1785
Estimate
40,00060,000
LOT SOLD. 50,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT
224
A matched pair of Louis XVI ormolu-mounted patinated bronze and rouge griotte marble urns, in the manner of François Rémond
circa 1785
Estimate
40,00060,000
LOT SOLD. 50,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Important French Furniture, Ceramics and Carpets including Property from the Estate of Mrs. Robert Lehman

|
New York

A matched pair of Louis XVI ormolu-mounted patinated bronze and rouge griotte marble urns, in the manner of François Rémond
circa 1785

Catalogue Note

A pair of ormolu and marble candelabra  with bases of this form decorated with identical friezes in the manner of François Rémond and formerly in the Lelong and Chappey Collection was sold The Alexander Collection, Christie's New York, 30 April 1999, lot 135 ($387,500). The design of these friezes could have been executed by Louis-Simon Boizot (1743-1809), who provided cartoons for a number of bronizers of the time, including Rémond, Pierre-Philippe Thomire and Pierre Gouthière. In fact, many of Boizot's Neoclassical frieze designs were executed specifically for vases and urns, such as one produced at the Sèvres manufactory and decorated with ormolu mounts by Thomire, now at the Musée du Louvre, see G. Scherf, Louis-Simon Boizot, Paris, 2001, pp. 258-259.  A plaster vase of almost identical form as the lot offered here and with a similarly themed frieze attributed to Boizot is in the same collection, see Anne Poulet and Guilhem Scherf, Clodion, Paris, 1992, p. 241, fig. 127. It is also possible that the inspiration for this lot's design derives from the dessinateur Jean-Guillaume Moitte (1746-1810), who exhibited a design for a frieze at the Salon of 1787 that inorporated some of the elements of this lot, such as the draped herm figure and the tripod perfume-burner.      

Important French Furniture, Ceramics and Carpets including Property from the Estate of Mrs. Robert Lehman

|
New York