The 1825 stand applied with the arms of Lord Grantham and chased and applied with the inscription:
Presented by the Non-Commissioned Offers and Privates of the YORKSHIRE HUSSARS to Lord Grantham, 1825.
The other stand engraved with the arms of the Earls de Grey, the title to which Lord Grantham succeeded in 1833.
Thomas Philip de Grey, 2nd Lord Grantham, succeeded his aunt as 2nd Earl de Grey in 1833. He was born in 1781, Privy Coucilor 1834, Knight of the Garter 1844, Fellow of the Royal Society. He was older brother of Prime Minister Lord Goderich, colonel-commandant of the Yorkshire Hussars, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland 1841-44 and first president of the Institute of British Architects from its inception till his death. He personally designed the new Wrest House in French taste in Bedfordshire assisted by James Clephan, built between 1833-39 and also remodeled his London home No 4 St James Square, (now the Naval and Military Club). He died in 1859, and his titles passed to his nephew.
These stands derive from the famous candelabra by Thomas Germain, which Paul Storr was reprising in the Regency era (see The Glory of the Goldsmith, no. 143). Robert Garrard II produced candelabra with an adult figure and a child entwined, which by their trellis bases are closer to the Germain model; a pair of 1825-26 are in the Gans Collection at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Bliss no. 69). A pair of candelabra by Garrard, 1826, with heavier tops and bases like those on the offered lot were in the Alan and Simone Hartman collection, Christie's, New York, 20 October 1999, lot 198.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale