Lot 8
  • 8

Tiffany Studios

50,000 - 70,000 USD
bidding is closed


  • Tiffany Studios
  • Two "Grape Trellis" Windows from "Overcliff," Park Hill, New York


Private Collection, New York, ca. 1900
Dr. Paluel Flagg, ca. 1930
Thence by descent
The Maryknoll Sisters, ca. late 1960s
Stanley Kofod, ca. 1969-1983
Private Collection, 1983 to the present

Catalogue Note

These early artistic Tiffany windows were originally installed in a Fifth Avenue mansion in New York, and were later moved around 1930 to "Overcliff," a magnificent shingle-style residence perched atop a steep cliff in historic Park Hill. "Overcliff" was originally built in 1893 for Edwin K. Martin, president of the American Real Estate Company that developed the surrounding community.  The second owner of the house, Dr. Paluel Flagg, incorporated these three windows in the ornate private chapel that he commissioned for the residence around 1930.  Over 200 masses were celebrated in this chapel, hosted by many local luminaries including Bishop Fulton J. Sheen.  The windows remarkably remained in Overcliff's chapel until their recent de-installation.