58
58

PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE SWISS COLLECTION

A Colonial silver two handled silver presentation cup and cover, Charles McAfee, Calcutta, circa 1855
JUMP TO LOT
58

PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE SWISS COLLECTION

A Colonial silver two handled silver presentation cup and cover, Charles McAfee, Calcutta, circa 1855
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Fine Furniture, Tapestries, Silver, Ceramics, Clocks and Rugs

|
London

A Colonial silver two handled silver presentation cup and cover, Charles McAfee, Calcutta, circa 1855
campana form, the body embossed with the facade of Government House, Calcutta, leaf-capped double-scroll handles, detachable finial formed as a bunch of grapes
31cm, 12 1/4 in high
1778gr, 57oz 3dwt
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Literature

Wynyard R T Wilkinson, The Makers of Indian Colonial Silver, London, 1987, p.121.

Catalogue Note

Charles McAfee is recorded by Wilkinson as working in partnership with Twentyman & Co. during the years 1846-1853. In 1853 he took over Twentyman & Co. and commenced trading under his own name until 1857 when he ceased trading.

From the mid-18th century large numbers of European inhabitants in India were registered working as goldsmiths, silversmiths, watchmakers, clockmakers and jewellers. Some of these tradesman specialised in importing 'European silver' in to India, while other firms produced silver in India and either sold it locally, or exported it back to England where it was sold on through a local agent. From the 1780s onwards, there was a small area of respectable European shops in Calcutta which originally started in the China Bazaar, Lall Bazaar and Cositollah and later moved closer to Government House once it was opened in 1802 to include the environs of Old Court House Street, Council House Street and Tank Square where Charles McAfeen was registered in 1842.

Fine Furniture, Tapestries, Silver, Ceramics, Clocks and Rugs

|
London