Established under the patronage of Her Royal Highness, Alexandra, the Princess of Wales, as part of the showrooms of Messrs. A. Borgen & Co., 142 New Bond Street, London, during the early part of the 1870s, The Royal Danish Galleries was primarily devoted to the exhibition of the arts of Denmark, which included paintings, jewellery, porcelain and terra-cotta. By 1873, Messrs. Borgen & Co. had introduced another new showroom of French and Belgian Works of Art, for which the French artists, Pierre Mallet and Léonce Goutard, were exclusively retained to decorate porcelain plaques and vases. In addition to these, Mallet and Goutard also designed and painted the distinctive decoration of a variety of tablewares employing creamware blanks from the Wedgwood manufactory, such as the pieces comprising the present lot. This lot is accompanied by a letter dated October 26th, 1874, from Balmoral Castle to Messrs. Borgen & Co., ordering a second service similar to one that had already been ordered on behalf of "Her Majesty". The letter concludes with a request that the services be ready by Christmas, presumably as both were intended as gifts.
Eight plates and four soup plates, similarly decorated, are illustrated by Maureen Batkin, Wedgwood Ceramics 1846-1959, p. 93 , pl. 197.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale