293
293
A Pair of George III Circular Alms Dishes, A pair of sauce tureens and Circular Salver, London, circa 1760
Estimate
5,0007,000
LOT SOLD. 4,375 USD
JUMP TO LOT
293
A Pair of George III Circular Alms Dishes, A pair of sauce tureens and Circular Salver, London, circa 1760
Estimate
5,0007,000
LOT SOLD. 4,375 USD
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

A Celebration of the English Country House

|
New York

A Pair of George III Circular Alms Dishes, A pair of sauce tureens and Circular Salver, London, circa 1760
the alms dishes by William Shaw & William Priest, 1760, bases engraved with scratch weights 26=26, 27=7; tureens by John Robins, 1802; salver by Charles Hougham, 1791
diameter of alms dishes 11 5/8 in.
29.5cm
137oz 8dwt
4273g
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

The alms dishes: St. Benet Fink Church, Threadneedle Street, City of London, rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren and demolished 1846.

The arms on the tureens are possibly those of Lampeth quartering Blankensop.

Catalogue Note

The bases of the alms dishes are engraved: "St. Benedict Fink London, The Gift of Dr. Waterland Minister of the Said Parish 1760."

St. Benet Fink Church existed at least as early as the 13th century. (Benet is an abbreviation of Benedict). It was one of 89 churches destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The church was re built by Sir Christopher Wren in the form of a decagon topped by a dome and lantern with a west tower and steeple of 110 feet.

 

Between 1841 and 1846 the church was demolished by Act of Parliament to create more space for the Royal Exchange. The sale of the site provided funds to build St Benet Fink in Tottenham. The sale of the furnishings realized only 15 pounds 5 shillings!  Today the site is occupied by No 1 Threadneedle Street, an 8 story office block completed in 1991. ( Wikipedia)

 

A Celebration of the English Country House

|
New York