165
165

PROPERTY FROM A PRIVATE COLLECTION

A fine George III satinwood writing table
circa 1795
Estimate
12,00018,000
LOT SOLD. 11,250 USD
JUMP TO LOT
165

PROPERTY FROM A PRIVATE COLLECTION

A fine George III satinwood writing table
circa 1795
Estimate
12,00018,000
LOT SOLD. 11,250 USD
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

A Celebration of the English Country House

|
New York

A fine George III satinwood writing table
circa 1795
the rectangular crossbanded top centered by a later gilt-tooled leather-lined surface, the frieze fitted with a pair of mahogany-lined drawers opposed by a pair of dummy drawers, raised on turned circular tapering legs ending in casters.  The underside of one drawer with an old chalked inscription Damaged (?) / T. J.  and with a paper label stamped MADE IN  / ENGLAND, the underside of the right side with a paper label stamped HOWARD F. PAGET Private Property and MADE IN / ENGLAND.
height 29 3/4 in.; width 41 3/4 in.; depth 28 in.
75.6 cm; 106 cm; 71.1 cm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Howard F. Paget

Catalogue Note

Howard F. Paget of Elford Hall, Staffordshire inherited the house from his cousin the Hon. Mary Howard daughter of Frances Paget Howard and Richard Bagot, later Howard.  Frances Paget Howard was the sister of Henry Howard, 12th Earl of Suffolk and 5th Earl of Berkshire and the daughter of William, Viscount Andover.  William, Viscount Andover was the son of Henry Bowes Howard, 11th Earl of Suffolk and 4th Earl of Berkshire, whose father, the Hon. Craven Howard had married Mary Bowes, the heiress of the Elford estates.  The Hall was designed in the 1750s to the specifications of Henry Bowes Howard, who died in 1757 before it was built in 1758.  The hall replaced an existing late mediaeval hall where Henry VII supposedly stayed before the battle of Bosworth Field.

Howard F. Paget left the house and lands to his son F. Howard Paget in 1935, who in tern gifted it to the city of Birmingham for public use.  The house was demolished in 1964.

A Celebration of the English Country House

|
New York