As discussed by Christopher Payne, an original version of this clock was exhibited at the Exposition d'Art Français du XVIIIe Siècle, catalogued by L. Roger-Miles, Galerie Jamarin, Paris, 1916 catalogue number 123. The inspiration to remake this clock in the 19th century may well have been various loan exhibitions. An original model of this pendule-gaine, veneered in ebony, was loaned by the Musée Conservatoire national des arts et métiers. Now at Versailles, it was shown in a line engraving in the Exposition rétrospective de l'union centrale des arts décoratifs , Paris 1882, De Champeau & Others, 'Les arts du bois,' pub. Quantin, 1883, p. 100. Six years after this loan, in 1888, the kingwood and tulipwood veneered example, now in the Frick Collection, was shown at the Hotel de Chimay Exposition de l'art français sous Louis XIV et sous Louis XV, lent by the Vicomte de Saint-Georges, and again at the Petit Palais Musée Retrospectif at the Exposition Universelle of 1900. This long-case clock is a copy of the example made by Weisweiler, with the signature of Beneman added possibly when the clock was repaired. Reputedly owned by Marie-Antoinette, the clock and its companion barometer were originally sold in November 1793 for 7,899 livres 19 sous to 'Citoyen Breton cadet'. Etienne Maxant was located at 4 Rue Saintonge, Paris between 1880 and 1905 and is known to have supplied movements to most of Francois Linke's long case clocks.