Paris, circa 1885
The company was first established in 1802 by Madame Désarnaud. She exhibited at the Exposition Nationale in the Louvre in 1819. The business was based in the Palais Royal and it was the first manufacturer to mount crystal objects with gilt-bronze. L' Escalier supplied lamps, vases, clocks and other objets d'art to most of the aristocratic European families. The firm was appointed fournisseur breveté du Roi in 1819 as well as to the Duc de Berry and the garde meuble de la Couronne. In 1872, the business was acquired by Emile Pannier and moved from their Palais Royal Galleries to Nouvel Opera region at the corner of rue Scribe and rue Auber. In 1885, George and Henry Pannier succeded their father and gradually developed a company which became noted for the quality of its production. The company supplied furniture and all manner of luxurious objects often having manufacturers supplying individual components which were then assembled to the firm's own design. The firm boasted such distinguished designers as Lièvre and Viardot and soon developed a recognisable style, often looking to the Orient for inspiration. The firm's work can be found in public collections such as the Musée du Louvre and the Musée d' Orsay, Paris.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale