- A GILT-BRASS GERMAN QUARTER-STRIKING TOWER CLOCK WITH ALARM
• four train gilt posted movement, verge escapement with fusee and chain, three resting barrels quarter and hour striking and alarm, converted to pendulum circa 1700, now lacking weight, striking the hours and quarters on two bells, the movement stamped with mark for Samuel Haug and pineapple stamp for Augsburg • 2¼" principal silver dial, outer ring engraved with Roman numerals, inner Arabic 24-hours, central alarm disc, single hand, with silver dial for quarter-hour indication and time setting below, the reverse with two small silver dials calibrated for quarter and hour striking indication, the side with dial for strike synchronization, the opposite side with alarm • gilt-brass case, the top mounted with a balustrade gallery fitted with strike/silent lever at the front, the whole further surmounted by three-tiers of baluster pillars enclosing a pierced arcade containing two bells for the quarters, supporting a cupola on turned columns centered by a cast figure of a mother and child, the main body engraved with foliate scrolls, pilasters on the corners with flower-engraved plinths and glazed side panels, the finely engraved base centered by open-work engraved bird and floral motif, hour bell fitted within, raised on winged-hairy paw feet
Otto Pick Collection No. OP2
A similar clock by Samuel Haug is illustrated in Maurice, K., Die deutsche Räderuhr, Band II, pl. 141.
Samuel Haug of Augsburg is listed in Abeler, J., Meister der Uhrmacherkunst as a maker of fine tower clocks. He registered his maker's mark in 1580 and was active until at least 1637. Clocks by Haug appear in the collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London as well as the Museo Poldi Pezzoli in Milan.