- 816
A Swedish porphyry vase garniture early 19th century
Description
- the tallest 27cm. high; 10½in., the pair each 19cm. high; 7½in.
Provenance
By repute, formerly in the collection of the Earls of Haddington, Tyninghame, East Lothian Scotland.
The name Tyninghame derives from its location, meaning `the village of the dwellers by the Tyne' and it was first settled in the 7th century. Tyninghame and the adjacent lands were acquired by Thomas, 1st Earl of Haddington in 1628 and have since remained the seat of the Earls of Haddington. The house was largely rebuilt by the 6th Earl in the early 18th century and was again extensively remodelled by William Burn for the 9th Earl in 1829. On the death of the 9th Earl in 1858, his title and estates devolved upon his cousin George Baillie of Jerviswood, when the two estates of Mellerstain and Tyninghame were united. In 1952, upon the death of his mother Lady Binning, the late Earl and Countess of Haddington made Tyninghame their home.