Jean-Joseph Barrière, charge and export discharge marks of Henri Clavel, Paris, 1780/1, the rim numbered: 2062
oval, the lid applied with an oval enamel plaque painted with supplicants at the altar of Love, the reserves, sides and base enamelled in translucent purple over pellet and reed engine-turning, chased and enamelled white dotted borders within opalescent and scarlet berry and green leaf borders
Jean-Joseph Barrière became master in 1763, sponsored by Henri Delobel. He worked on the pont-Notre-Dame until 1786 when his shop and dwelling were pulled down during the reconstruction of the bridge. He then moved to the rue Coq Saint-Honoré where he is recorded until the Terror in 1793. Barrière was one of the more productive of Parisian goldsmiths: the Louvre owns ten examples of his work; Fürst Carl Anselm von Thurn und Taxis's collection, Regensburg (forthcoming: Lorenz Seelig, Golddosen des 18. Jahrhunderts aus dem Besitz der Fürsten von Thurn und Taxis. Die Sammlung des Bayerischen Nationalmuseums im Thurn und Taxis-Museum Regensburg, Hirmer Verlag, Munich 2007), largely bought at the time of manufacture, owns eight.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale