the cagework mounts Louis Roucel, charge mark of Julien Alaterre, Paris, 1770, the rim further engraved: Roucel Orf. du Roy AParis, the lining with prestige marks
rectangular with cut corners, the lid, sides and base inset with miniatures, oil on card, of river and harbour subjects, after the manner of Vernet, each corner applied with a gold urn on translucent blue enamel over striped engine-turning, the frames chased with acanthus
One of the most important orfèvres-bijoutiers of his time, Louis Roucel did not become master by Royal prerogative until 23 August 1763, sponsored by Alexis Porcher, some years after his first recorded works. In 1759 Roucel is recorded in the house of sieur Ducrollay in the place Dauphine, whence les Affiches de Paris announced on 12 January 1764 that he had moved to the quai de l'Horloge, près de la porte du Palais, au Gros Raisin, au Ier where he remained until 1776. Between 1763 and 1776 Roucel's name frequently appeared in the records of the Menus-Plaisirs du Roi, receiving 4,800 livres for jewels supplied on the occasion of the marriage of the Dauphin to Marie Antoinette in 1770. Louis Roucel's death is recorded on 6 March 1787 in Puteaux, then a small village, over the Seine to the west of Paris.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale