old inventory no. on the back: 1458 and 145?
Bordeaux, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Le raisins du silence, June 14 - August 30, 1999, cat. nos. 4-5 (as attributed to Jan Frans van Dael)
F. Ribemont & B. De Boysson, Le raisins du silence, exhibition catalogue, Bordeaux 1999, p. 42, cat. nos. 4 & 5, illus. (as attributed to Jan Frans van Dael)
The provenance of these paintings, which has been unbroken for over two hundred years, can practically be traced back to moment they left van Pol's studio. They were purchased from the Galerie Fontanel, Montpellier, in 1804, by Jacques Joseph de Boussairolles. The bills of sale are still extant (see fig. 1), and the transaction was made in four payments, respectively dated on the 3rd of March (48 Francs), the 4th of April (72 Francs), the 7th of May (48 Francs) and 24th of June 1804 (72 Francs) when the last payment was made for the total sum of 240 Francs.
De Boussairolles is the ancestor of the present owner and was from a prominent family in Montpellier. He started his collecting activity after the Revolution and was helped in that passion by Abraham Fontanel (who established himself as dealer in Montpellier in 1803) and by a Parisian dealer named Roland. Jacques Joseph de Boussairolles built up a considerable collection which appears to have remained intact up until the mid-nineteenth century when it was divided among heirs. Other paintings from this collection were sold in these rooms on May 22, 1997 lots 1 to 7.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale