313
313
A fine and rare pair of Empire ormolu-mounted Sarguemines vases
circa 1805, stamped Sarguemines
Estimate
60,00080,000
LOT SOLD. 114,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT
313
A fine and rare pair of Empire ormolu-mounted Sarguemines vases
circa 1805, stamped Sarguemines
Estimate
60,00080,000
LOT SOLD. 114,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Important French and Continental Furniture, European Ceramics and Carpets

|
New York

A fine and rare pair of Empire ormolu-mounted Sarguemines vases
circa 1805, stamped Sarguemines
each baluster-shaped vase flanked by scrolled ormolu handles cast with stylised anthemion, palmettes and rosettes on a circular socle and a circular pedestal with stepped moulded base. Formerly with lids.
height 27 1/2 in.; width 12 1/2 in.
70 cm; 32 cm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Catalogue Note

The Sarguemines factory

The Sarguemines pottery factory, based in Lorraine, was founded in 1778 by Joseph Fabry and continued its production until the end of the 19th century.  In 1792 Fabry went into partnership with Francois-Paul Utzschneider (1771-1844) to produce ceramics at the factory at Sarguemines in the Moselle. Utzschneider was the creative force in the partnership and was variously referred to as 'le Wedgwood Français and le céramiste français d'importance le plus mésestime... ce grand génie de la céramique française'.

In 1809, the factory was awarded a Gold medal at the Produits de L'Industrie exhibition for their vases in the newly discovered composition of pulverised stone in imitation of porphyry, basalt, jasper and other precious stones. At the exhibition their products attracted the attention of Baron Vivant-Denon, Directeur Général du Musée Napoléon, who granted the factory an Imperial commission which, by August 1810, had evolved into an order for eight pairs of candelabra or torchères of two different designs, and twenty-two pairs of vases of four different designs, of which two pairs are in the Throne Room of Palazzo Reale in Naples. A further pair was recorded in 1925 as having been in the collection of the Grand Duke Nicolas Mikhailovich, grandson of Tsar Nicholas I.

Important French and Continental Furniture, European Ceramics and Carpets

|
New York