The Château de Bellevue
The site for the château was acquired by Louis XV in 1748. Situated between St. Cloud and Meudon on the edge of a forest, it enjoyed spectacular views of the Seine valley. The architect for the house was Jean Cailletot Lassurance, and the gardens were designed by Jean-Charles Garnier and Jean Gailleteau. Work began in June 1748 and was finished by November 1750. In 1749 the King gave the land to Madame de Pompadour. The château during her tenure was of modest size with nine bays to the front and six to the sides with two storeys.
Following his re-purchase of the château in 1757, Louis XV embarked upon considerable re-building under Gabriel with an almost complete remodeling of the interior to accommodate the Royal Family and their various apartments.
In 1774 following the death of Louis XV, Bellevue was occupied by the new King Louis XVI’s aunts, Mesdames Adélaïde, Victoire and Sophie, who continued to inhabit the château until the revolution. The château was largely demolished in 1823.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale