The present chandelier comes from Palazzo Cattaneo Adorno in Via Garibaldi 8-10 (ex Strada Nuova), one of the most beautiful palaces in Genoa. The palace was built by the brothers Lazzaro and Giacomo Spinola between the years 1583 and 1588. The building had originally been sold by the heirs of Antonio Vivaldi to Stefano Lomellini. He then resold it to the Spinola brothers. In order to create a home for each of them, two different interiors were built in the same complex, with two different but symmetrical entrances. The house was basically cut in two halves, one on the west side and one on the other side. Around 1612 the east half was sold to Giacomo Saluzzo and by him to Count Scassi. Marquese Cattaneo then bought it from him. The other part stayed in the family and went down to Spinola's son-in-law Giovanni Battista Adorno. It remained in the Adorno family for 300 years. While in the 19th century the frescos in the east half were remade in the somewhat heavier style of the time, the frescos in the Adorno half have not been touched since the original decoration by Lazzaro Tavarone in 1624.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale