The establishment of Grohé Frères was started in 1829 in Paris by two brothers, Guillaume and Jean-Michel. Their styles resembled the Louis XVI fashion, but they also created pieces incorporating different tastes. This highly successful Parisian company had as patrons the French royals households, as well as H. M. Queen Victoria. The firm took part in all major exhibitions from 1834 to 1878 and won the highest distinctions; Guillaume was made Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur in 1849. The company closed in 1884 and cleared the workshop stock at auction in February of that same year. Pieces by Grohé Frères are now in the permanent collections of leading French museums.