The six-armed and three-headed saffron-red form of Manjushri holding the sword, blue lotus, the bow and arrow, and the Prajnaparamita text, with his consort the white Kesani Tara holding the stems of two blue lotus flowers, both seated on a lotus pedestal supported by a tiered throne draped with a floral patterned textile, with lions and elephants between pillars beneath, an elaborate torana above with makara supported by pillars emerging from kalasha vases, and Garuda at the apex clutching nagas emerging from swirling waters, the shrine set against a flower strewn blue scrollwork background, Achala and Mahakala above, with donors, scenes of worship and the Chakravartin below, the top register of the painting and the lower border now missing.
The finely painted paubha contains an inscription dating it to 1409, providing an invaluable benchmark for the dating of both Nepalese and associated Tibetan works of art. The inscription records the donation of the painting of Siddhi Manjusri and Kesani Tara in the year 1409 by a Caitrakara (member of the artist caste) named Hrasa Rama and his wife Raya. The work is signed, as the inscription notes "this paubha was made by Acharya Kulabha(?) and Caitrakara Kesaraja". Both artist and donor were members of the artist caste responsible for the painting of sacred images, and the Acharya may have composed or written the inscription. For a full translation of the inscription; see Kreijger, 199, p. 36.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale