Thanks to the tensile strength of bronze, these reductions of the Furietti centaurs in the Capitoline Museum dispense with the tree-trunk supports beneath the stomachs required to support the weight of marble.
The centaurs were discovered by Monsignor Furietti during the excavations at Hadrian's Villa in December 1736 but he resisted pressure from Pope Benedict XIV to hand them over to the Capitoline Museum. However they were secured for the museum later in 1765 by Pope Clement XIII. The models were much in demand during the 18th century and reductions were cast by Zoffoli and Righetti in Rome.
Taste and the Antique, pp.178-79, no.20