each with a pierced cover with foliate finial, above a pierced guilloche cast rim, with scrolled acanthus leaf cast handles, the tapering body applied with berried laurel swags, on a flared socle and square base with concave corners
According to S. Ericksen, Sèvres Porcelain, The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor, p. 234, ' The named customers of the (Sèvres) factory who bought these vases specifically made for mounting in ormolu, (such as the present pair) were all dealers: Dulac, Lair's widow; Grouël and later the firm of Poirier and Daguerre'.
This type of vase started to be produced by the Sèvres factory in around 1764 and was intended to be fitted with gilt-bronze mounts. These vases were assembled into garnitures.
Other green Sèvres pot pourris vases sold as auction include:
-lots 36-38 from the Collections of the Cholmondeley Family and the late Sir Philip Sasoon, Bt from Houghton, sold Christie's, London, 8th December 1994
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale