London, Leicester Galleries, 'Girl with Gardenias' and some other recent sculpture by Jacob Epstein, May-June 1944, no.7 (another cast);
London, Leicester Galleries, Fifty Years of Bronzes and Drawings by Sir Jacob Epstein, June-July 1960, no.25 (another cast);
Leeds, City Art Galleries and London, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Jacob Epstein: Sculpture and Drawings, 1987, no.131, illustrated in the exhibition catalogue, p.226 (another cast).
Jacob Epstein, Let There be Sculpture, Michael Joseph, London, 1940, p.158;
Richard Buckle, Jacob Epstein: Sculptor, Faber and Faber, London, 1963, p.164, illustrated fig.252 (another cast);
Evelyn Silber, The Sculpture of Epstein, Phaidon Press, London, 1986, no.188, illustrated p.164 (another cast).
In 1928 the board of the Underground Railway commissioned Epstein to make two carved figure groups for the space above the doors of the new Underground Electric Railways Headquarters building at 55 Broadway, Westminster. Working alongside architect Charles Holden for the second time, Epstein proposed the concept of 'Day' and 'Night', the former depicting a seated man holding a boy between his knees, the latter taking the form of a Pieta. Epstein explained that Night was 'a mother-figure with her child exhausted and sleeping under her protection and benediction'. The clay maquette (now in the collection of Ein Harod, Israel) was later cast in bronze in an edition of 4, and there are related drawings in the collection of Leeds City Art Galleries and Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery.
This particular piece was given by Epstein to his friend, the concert pianist Dame Myra Hess (1890 - 1965). Already a musician of international stature, Dame Myra became a heroine during World War II, for the series of now legendary lunch-time concerts - which took place with the blessing of Sir Kenneth Clark - in London's National Gallery. Her daily concerts brought exceptional musical talent to the ears of Londoners from every walk of life and continued without cease, from 10th October 1939 until the last concert on 10th April 1946 - thus the concerts had run without a break for exactly six-and-a-half years. The concerts provided a remarkable oasis of calm in the midst of the German bombardments, and by the end of the war well over three quarters of a million people had come to listen to chamber music, over 791 musicians had played, together with 24 conductors, 15 choirs, 13 orchestras and 56 other ensembles.
Dame Myra's contribution to the war with her music was acknowledged by King George VI: in 1941 she was promoted in the Order of the British Empire from Commander to Dame, and a year later was presented with the Gold Medal of the Royal Philharmonic Society, amongst other national and international honours.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale