- 191
An important Regency Mahogany Large Circular Library Table Circa 1815
Description
- height 34 1/4 in.; diameter 7 ft. 6 in.
- 87 cm; 228.6 cm
Provenance
The Trustees of the Radcliffe Library, Oxford
The Radcliffe Observatory
The Nuffield Institute for Medical Research, Oxford
Green College, Oxford
Mallett & Son (Antiques) Ltd., London
From whom acquired
Catalogue Note
The Radcliffe Library, Oxford, is one of the most famous libraries and seats of England in the world, its magnificent building in Radcliffe Square being built in 1748 to the designs of James Gibbs, its superb circular structure being designed to house a collection of books relating specifically to science and medicine. It was originally founded by John Radcliffe (1652-1714) surgeon to William III, but by 1810, through the complacency of successive librarians, the library of books and its other collection of sculpture and works of art had become static and old-fashioned. After the appointment of Dr. George Williams, a Professor of Botany and a physician at the Radcliffe Infirmary in that year, the original intent of the library seems to have been re-established, dormant funds being used to bring the collection of books up to date. The large central area of the building was then reorganized to display in a fitting manner the collection of ancient sculptures, and at this time the present table was commissioned to be placed directly under the central dome. Although the complete Minutes of the Trustees meetings survive, they do not specifically contain a mention of the present table, although at a meeting held on June 2, 1813, Williams was authorized to purchase whatever furniture he considered necessary, the minutes recording that he received sums of money both on account and sums payable at intervals. It was presumably in situ by 1814 as it seems to appear on a plan for a banquet given on the occasion of the visit of the Prince Regent and foreign royalty including the Czar of Russia, in June of that year. It is described as a ‘side board’, the notes indicating that it would have supported a candelabrum.
An engraving dated 1836 shows the table still in situ, but by 1853 a photograph shows that the table had been replaced by a desk illuminated with gas. It was then possibly moved to the octagonal observing room at the Radcliffe Observatory, which was sold by the Trustees to Lord Nuffield becoming the Nuffield Institute for Medical Research. It was then subsequently sold to the new Green College, then being de-accessioned by the colleges’ trustees to Messrs. Mallett.
Designed in the then fashionable Greek taste, the circular top of the table is supported on a massive triangular pedestal which takes its form from the bases of Roman candelabrum which were derived from ancient altars. The large palmette ornaments to each side are derived from ancient Roman tables, drawings for which were included by Charles Heathcote Tatham’s Etchings of Grecian and Roman Architectural Ornaments.