Follower of Raffaello Sanzio, called Raphael, 17th Century
- Raffaello Sanzio, called Raphael
- The vision of the true cross
- oil on canvas
This composition appears to derive from two different inventions by Raphael. The left part of the painting is inspired by The Vision of the True Cross (1520-24) in the Sala di Costantino in the Vatican, the original of which was probably painted by Giulio Romano following designs by Raphael; the right part of the composition is inspired by Raphael's Meeting of Attila and Leo X (1514), one of the frescoed lunettes in the Stanza di Eliodoro, also in the Vatican (see P. de Vecchi, L'opera completa di Raffaello, Milan 1979, cat. nos. 154A and 95H respectively, both reproduced). Raphael's compositions were much copied throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, either directly from the Stanze themselves or from the numerous engravings produced throughout Europe (particularly by French engravers). The painting bears a traditional attribution to Charles Le Brun.