Laxman Pai was born in 1926 in Margao, Goa, an area of outstanding natural beauty which unsurprisingly fed his creative motivations. Pai attended the Sir J. J. School of Art in Bombay, and subsequently travelled to France in 1951. He studied at the École des Beaux-Arts, with fellow Indian artists Francis Newton Souza and Sayed Haider Raza, and steadily honed his artistic skill.
The current lot from 1969 incorporates decorative detailing, reminiscent of Pai's early works, set against an abstract color field.