PROPERTY OF VARIOUS OWNERS
The 7th Regiment comprised New York City’s social elite and was known for its elaborate uniforms and equipment, and later its imposing sandstone armory on Park Avenue. Here they are shown training outdoors on Washington Square, with New York University and the Reformed Dutch Church in the background.
During the Civil War, the 7th was one of the first units to respond to President Lincoln’s call for volunteers on April 19, 1861, occupying Arlington Heights, Virginia to help protect the capital from possible attack by the Confederate Army during the first months of the war. In July of 1863, the 7th was ordered back to New York to respond to the Draft Riots.
Their landmark armory, designed by Sanford White, was constructed for the unit in 1877. It stands on Park Avenue between 66th and 67th streets in the heart of Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.