This dish belongs to a group all of which seemingly use the same iconographic source, which is likely to be the engraving entitled The Temptation, by Crispin van de Passe (1564-1637), after the painting by John Overbeck. The earliest known example which falls into this group is a dish dated 1635 made at Southwark, now in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, published by Louis L. Lipski and Michael Archer, Dated English Delftware, Tin-glazed Earthenware 1600-1800, London, 1984, col. pl. II, no. 6 and Michael Archer, Delftware, The Tin-glazed Earthenware of the British Isles , London, 1997, p. 81, A.13. A similar dish is at Colonial Williamsburg, published by John C. Austin, British Delft at Williamsburg, Williamsburg, 1994, p. 128, no. 155. Further dated dishes which fall into this group are inscribed 1640, 1650 and 1663, see Archer, ibid, nos. 13, 22 and 44. The present dish bears characteristics of a dish illustrated by Archer, ibid., p. 82, A.15, who attributes it to London, or possibly Brislington or Bristol and to a production date of 1680-90.