This intimate marble group of a couple embracing is after the Roman model, now in the Capitoline Museum. The iconography has sometimes charmingly been interpreted as 'the invention of the kiss', but has commonly been known as Cupid and Psyche. The Roman model, discovered in 1749, was donated by Pope Benedict XIV to the Capitoline Museum in the following year. Except for a brief sojourn in France, where it was received in Paris with a triumphant procession after being ceded by Napoleon, it was returned to the Roman Museum, where it has remained since.
F. Haskell and N. Penny, Taste and the Antique, the Lure of Classical Sculpture, 1500-1900, London, 1981, p. 189-191