- Joined Sotheby’s in London in 1990
- Recognised as a leading authority on Wine
- Initiated Sotheby’s Wine sales in Germany, New York, Zűrich and Los Angeles
- Launched the Sothebys.com Associate Programme for online auctions
- Auctioneer for major record-breaking wine sales, including The Millennium Wine Cellar
Jamie Ritchie became Head of Sotheby’s global wine business in May 2016. He joined Sotheby’s in London in 1990 and was responsible for launching Sotheby’s wine auctions in New York in 1994 and in Hong Kong in 2009. The worldwide auction business has sales of $65 to $90 million per year. More recently, Mr. Ritchie was responsible for launching Sotheby’s Wine, a retail store and online wine business, becoming the only major global auctioneer offering fine wines at retail. Sotheby’s Wine has two retail businesses, one at their flagship headquarters in New York and a second location in their gallery in Hong Kong.
Mr. Ritchie is one of the world’s leading wine auctioneers and was one of the auctioneers at each of the 16 consecutive Hong Kong “white glove” auctions, selling 10,202 consecutive lots (without an unsold lot).
Mr. Ritchie has been a leading Sotheby’s auctioneer for many extraordinary and record breaking auctions such as The Millennium Wine Cellar (1999, US$14 million), Lafite Ex Cellars (2010, US$8 million), The Ultimate Cellar (2011, US$12 million), The Classic Cellar from a Great American Collector, I through XI (2009 through 2013 US$55.2 million), Château Mouton Rothschild (2014, US$ x million) and Château Margaux (2014, US$x million).
Mr. Ritchie has sold many world record lots, including:
- 3 bottles of Château Lafite 1869 for $232,692 each in October 2010, a world record for a single standard sized bottle at auction.
- A Jeroboam of Château Mouton Rothschild 1945 in February 2007 for US$310,700, the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold at auction.
- 50 cases of Château Mouton Rothschild 1982, which brought US$1.05 million in November 2006 and is the highest value lot of wine ever sold at auction
Mr. Ritchie also played an integral role in the sale of The Princely Collections of Thurn und Taxis (Germany, 1993), which was the world’s largest wine auction totaling 75,000 bottles.
Mr. Ritchie continues to conduct Sotheby’s wine auctions, donate his services to many benefit auctions, and lead tastings around the United States. He is also a respected authority in the wine market and has been regularly featured in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Financial Times, Los Angeles Times, Forbes and Wine Spectator Magazine.
Videos featuring Jamie Ritchie
Wines from the Cellar of William I. Koch: The Highlights